H20 COVID Assistance Program

Emergency Water and/or Sewer Bill Assistance Due to COVID-19

The Policy

The H20 Foundation will implement the following policy and procedure to address the immediate needs of individuals and families that have been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The H20 Foundation will provide emergency assistance to individuals and/or families who are customers of Birmingham Water Works in Jefferson, Shelby, St. Clair, Walker or Blount County.  These funds are specifically used to support individuals and/or families (regardless of age) impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. One-time assistance in the amount up to $800 may be awarded.  A total of $200,000 in assistance may be awarded under this program.

Eligibility Requirements for Emergency Assistance:

  • Only one person per household may apply
  • To be eligible for assistance, a person must provide a picture ID, lease or mortgage agreement, past due water bill in their name or spouse’s name
  • Proof of layoff or furlough from work due to the COVID-19 pandemic
  • If the person is a business owner, they must provide their business license and their tax information to verify income

Procedure used by the Salvation Army:

  • Call 205-244-4390 or email [email protected] to apply.
  • Initial screening will take place via telephone to determine how the person was impacted and if they have the correct documentation.  The phone screener will then set an appointment for the client.
  • The case manager will open a case file on the individual or family. The file will contain the intake application and release of information for the individual or family.
  • The case manager will verify the identity of the person requesting the services through their photo ID.  A copy of their photo ID, lease or mortgage agreement and past due water bill will be placed in the file.
  • The case manager will contact the Birmingham Water Works to confirm the information and verify that the payment will be provided on the client’s behalf.
  • We request legible copies of all submitted documentation to verify account numbers and other pertinent information. 
  • If the person is a business owner (self-employed), they must provide a business license that dates pre-COVID and their previous year’s taxes indicating the business income and expenses.
  • No cash-only payments for income will be accepted